Check the Housing page here for recommendations on where to stay before and after the ride.
Having the correct equipment and supplies with you will just enhance your experience while on the SMART Ride. While we have some items, you are responsible for making sure you have the right items with you.
Make sure to bring your gear in one bag. We will provide you with a luggage tag so we know whose bag it is. The SMART Ride will also transport your gear from Miami to Friday night housing and then to Key West.
Remember, the Bike Tech’s donate their labor, but you are responsible for paying them for the supplies you utilize. Medical Crew have many items to take care of your needs, but if you are prepared, you will be able to solve some of the basic issues quickly.
Required items you need to bring:
- Bicycle – your own or rented (mechanically safe and in good working order, make sure to have it inspected for bike fit prior to the ride)
- Helmet (ASTM, Snell, ANSI or CPSC approved)
- 2 Water bottles (one filled with an electrolyte replacement drink) OR 1 hydration pack (like a Camelbak), plus a bottle filled with an electrolyte replacement drink.
- Bike frame pump or CO2 cartridges
- Patch kit or spare tube that will fit your tire size.
- Bicycle multi-tool for making adjustments
- Bike seat bag (to carry multi-tool, tire irons, patch kits, tubes, cell phone, cash/credit card)
Useful and nice to have, but not mandatory:
- Insect repellant, hand wipes or hand sanitizer
- Lip balm w/ sunscreen
- Bike computer
- Cycling gloves
Other Items to pack in your gear:
- Variety of riding clothes for 2 days (make sure to be prepared for variable weather)
- Clothes for evening functions and Key West (shorts, t-shirts, jeans, flip flops, very casual)
- Swimsuit (yes there is a pool at Hawks Cay)
- Any prescriptions you need
- Antacid, ointments, bandages, Ibuprofen
- Earplugs (to drown out the snoring from your roommate)
Please DO NOT pack valuables in your gear (ie: Identification, Money, Credit Cards, Cameras, or other expensive or fragile items. These things should be kept with you at all times.)
Options to ship your bike in advance of the event or transporting your bike and assemblying it will be coming soon.
Downtown Bicycles a legacy sponsor has a number of bikes available to rent both Carbon Fiber and Aluminum. For more information contact Downtown Bicycles by clicking here We encourage you to make your arrangements as early as possible.
Gear and/or luggage
- On registration day, you will receive a luggage tags to mark your gear, but it is a good idea to mark your luggage with your identification in advance.
- Your luggage will travel in style in our Box Truck just for gear! One of our fantastic teams sole responsibility is to take your luggage on Friday morning (please limit your gear to one bag), transport it to Hawks Cay, and have it available when you arrive at the Gear Truck.
- On Saturday morning you will again drop your luggage at the Gear Truck and it will be lovingly taken all the way to Key West.
- Immediately following the closing ceremonies, you can pick up your luggage and gear from the Gear Truck and head to your hotel, shower, relax, unwind and meet us for our celebration parties later that evening. It’s a night of fun and celebration, and Key West has been known to pull out all the stops.
- Check the housing page for recommendations on where to stay (look at tab to your left.)
On Friday night of the ride, rooms will be provided in Marathon, Florida. Registration for these rooms will open on September 23rd. You will receive an email asking you to log in and choose your room mates.
- Private bathrooms and air conditioning.
- Beautiful pool area, manicured grounds, and a beach front.
- There is NO additional cost for these accommodations to riders or crew (unless you upgrade).
For Thursday night before the ride, and, Saturday night following the conclusion of the ride, check the housing page for recommendations on where to stay.
On your registration form there was a question asking if you are a vegetarian, if you didn’t fill that out, just let us know by calling the office or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. While we make our best efforts, we cannot accommodate every dietary need. Make sure you come prepared with supplements. For example, we offer vegetarian options but not strict vegan options, so if you are vegan you will want to bring additional supplements to ensure you are getting your necessary nutritional requirements.
Travel Back to Miami
With regard to COVID, The SMART Ride has always operated with “safety first” in our mission. Safety of riders, crew members, and volunteers is a priority. While we urge all of our participants, crew members, and volunteers to be vaccinated, we will follow all Local, state, federal, and CDC guidelines/protocols in producing The SMART Ride. While a majority of the Ride is an outdoor event, please use your own judgement with self-care while participating indoors and out.
Housing and COVID:
We urge all SMART Ride participants, crew members, and volunteers to be vaccinated for COVID. Housing on Friday night of the Ride at Hawk’s Cay will continue with the practice of rooming all participants together (4-6 people) in villas. You have the option of choosing your roommates, or a rooming assignment will be made for you. If an assignment is made for you and you feel uncomfortable about such, then Single occupancy rooms are available in limited quantities. Additional fees will apply for a single room and are based on first come, first served basis.