Having the correct equipment and supplies with you will just enhance your experience while on the SMART Ride. While we have some items, you are responsible for making sure you have the right items with you.
Make sure to bring your gear in one bag. We will provide you with a luggage tag so we know whose bag it is. The SMART Ride will also transport your gear from Miami to Friday night housing and then to Key West.
Remember, the Bike Tech’s donate their labor, but you are responsible for paying them for the supplies you utilize. Medical Crew have many items to take care of your needs, but if you are prepared, you will be able to solve some of the basic issues quickly.
Required items you need to bring:
- Bicycle – your own or rented (mechanically safe and in good working order, make sure to have it inspected for bike fit prior to the ride)
- Helmet (ASTM, Snell, ANSI or CPSC approved)
- 2 Water bottles (one filled with an electrolyte replacement drink) OR 1 hydration pack (like a Camelbak), plus a bottle filled with an electrolyte replacement drink.
- Bike frame pump or CO2 cartridges
- Patch kit or spare tube that will fit your tire size.
- Bicycle multi-tool for making adjustments
- Bike seat bag (to carry multi-tool, tire irons, patch kits, tubes, cell phone, cash/credit card)
Useful and nice to have, but not mandatory:
- Insect repellant, hand wipes or hand sanitizer
- Lip balm w/ sunscreen
- Bike computer
- Cycling gloves
Other Items to pack in your gear:
- Variety of riding clothes for 2 days (make sure to be prepared for variable weather)
- Clothes for evening functions and Key West (shorts, t-shirts, jeans, flip flops, very casual)
- Swimsuit (yes there is a pool at Hawks Cay)
- Any prescriptions you need
- Antacid, ointments, bandages, Ibuprofen
- Earplugs (to drown out the snoring from your roommate)
Please DO NOT pack valuables in your gear (ie: Identification, Money, Credit Cards, Cameras, or other expensive or fragile items. These things should be kept with you at all times.)
We have arranged with local bike stores for shipping to and from the event and for bike rental. Our bike partner, Lauderdale Cyclery, will assemble, disassemble and pack your bike. If you are shipping your bike it will need to arrive in Florida one week ahead of the event. They will also transport assembled bikes from Fort Lauderdale to registration, or back from Key West for those of you who live nearby. Click here for more information.
- If you are shipping your bike back to Miami or beyond, you will drop your bicycle at Indigenous Park (across from closing ceremonies) immediately after closing ceremonies on Saturday. There will be two areas: one for Bikes back to Miami, and one for those being packed and shipped.
- Check the housing page here for recommendations on where to stay before and after the ride.
For bike rental, we have once again partnered with Key Largo Bike Tours and Rentals. Perfect for the athlete on the go who wants to fly into town, get their bike at registration and drop off right after the ride. For more information and to reserve our rental, click here.
Downtown Bicycles a legacy sponsor also has a number of bikes available to rent both Carbon Fiber and Aluminum. For more information contact Christy Falco or by calling Christy at 754-265-7872
To reserve your rental or bike transport CLICK HERE
Downtown Bicycles also has a number of bikes available to rent. For more information contact Christy email@example.com 754-265-7872
We encourage you to make your arrangements as early as possible.
Gear and/or luggage
- On registration day, you will receive a luggage tags to mark your gear, but it is a good idea to mark your luggage with your identification in advance.
- Your luggage will travel in style in our Box Truck just for gear! One of our fantastic teams sole responsibility is to take your luggage on Friday morning (please limit your gear to one bag), transport it to Hawks Cay, and have it available when you arrive at the Gear Truck.
- On Saturday morning you will again drop your luggage at the Gear Truck and it will be lovingly taken all the way to Key West.
- Immediately following the closing ceremonies, you can pick up your luggage and gear from the Gear Truck and head to your hotel, shower, relax, unwind and meet us for our celebration parties later that evening. It’s a night of fun and celebration, and Key West has been known to pull out all the stops.
- Check the housing page for recommendations on where to stay (look at tab to your left.)
On Friday night of the ride, rooms will be provided in Marathon, Florida. Registration for these rooms will open on September 23rd. You will receive an email asking you to log in and choose your room mates.
- Private bathrooms and air conditioning.
- Beautiful pool area, manicured grounds, and a beach front.
- There is NO additional cost for these accommodations to riders or crew (unless you upgrade).
For Thursday night before the ride, and, Saturday night following the conclusion of the ride, check the housing page for recommendations on where to stay.
On your registration form there was a question asking if you are a vegetarian, if you didn’t fill that out, just let us know by calling the office or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. While we make our best efforts, we cannot accommodate every dietary need. Make sure you come prepared with supplements. For example, we offer vegetarian options but not strict vegan options, so if you are vegan you will want to bring additional supplements to ensure you are getting your necessary nutritional requirements.
Due to recent Zina concerns and other potential medical issues from mosquitos we recommend using a mosquito repellent starting at dusk or when you are in an environment of high humidity. Wooded areas etc. if you need more info about the current Zika outbreak, click here.